See your designs as never before, in
real-time from any location on site
Share with communities, planners and
developers in a new and understandable way
Use digital integration to visualise early,
adapt and plan – saving money!
UrbanPlanAR is a digital visualisation solution designed to enhance the value of BIM information by enabling in-field visualisation from any location, in real-time – creating more engaging and accessible understanding, integrated with current processes, software and formats.
Using 3D data and augmented reality on mobile tablets, information is taken on-site for better contextual decision making by planners, developers & communities.
The project is a 2-year, Innovate UK funded collaboration between industry lead Linknode (mobile, visualisation) and Heriot-Watt University, School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (BIM and localisation).
The solution is a disruptive technology providing a 21st century alternative to desktop-based or VR assessment without outsourcing, remodelling or expensive proprietary systems. UrbanPlanAR solves problems of:
- Accurate urban location positioning – without the reliance on GNSS and only using affordable off-the-shelf consumer tablets
- Disenfranchised stakeholders – by creating visualisations (impact assessments) personalised to their location in real-time
- Late stage visualisation after design completion – by enabling integration and viewpoints throughout a project lifecycle at no additional cost
- Remove expensive duplication in modelling – by providing a data pipeline integrated with existing tools and flowlines from major vendors
In order to:
- Maximise reuse through existing investment in BIM and digital design
- Provide accessible understanding of impact from within local communities
- Deliver and share data for immediacy and relevance
- Create trustworthy visualisations to enable better decision making
We use localisation, augmented reality, BIM and 3D mobile technology to create software that delivers contextual information at the point of need. Our software aligns with the beliefs and vision of leading organisations such as Architecture and Design Scotland (ADS) whose objectives are to:
- Help create better buildings, streets and sustainable places
- Encourage more people to get involved in making sustainable places
- Increase the understanding of architecture and design within the planning system
- Promote architecture and design nationally and internationally
- Provide leadership for our sector
- Deliver high-quality services which are continually improving
Call for Partners
At UrbanPlanAR, we value partnership and collaboration, and we believe that by working together, we can discover, develop and deliver the best solution for our customers.
In Summer 2016 we are looking for partners across industry to help shape the UrbanPlanAR solution. We have addressed many of the technical problems and now need to integrate with industry data and business models. This invitation to work with us under the Innovate UK project is open to:
- Architects and Developers – BIM managers with data in formats and systems, interested in sharing data
- Urban Model Data Suppliers – Organisations with 3D city model data for integration in occlusion visuals
- Data Visualisers – City planners , architects and community engagement groups who need to understand impact of change
As the project transitions from technical development to application design, we need partners who are:
- In the AEC industry running an active BIM project
- Stakeholders from planning or public engagement
- Willing to commit time and data for a private trial
- Able to introduce new technology into an organisation
- Bringing a passion and interest in disruptive visualisation
Our next development phases will address location precision, lighting and rendering by September and we will then be looking to arrange visits to showcase the work and create a partner network.
If our vision fits with your views on the reuse of BIM –using visualisation for communication and wider engagement, please contact us for further information.